Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default reset value back to zero

Hi !
Please help me
Spreadsheet set out as follows

A B C
1 Total 0
2
3 New 0
4
5 Mark 0
6 Sally 0
7 James 0

Where I would like Mark to have a "title" value of say "a" no
quotes
Sally to have a "title" value of say "b"
James to have a "title" value of say "c"
Where if I enter the value "a3" (Mark's title) into cell B3 (new) it would
enter 3 into B3 and B1 as well as in Mark's cell B5
When enter is pressed B3 would return to zero
B1 would reflect 3 (new)
B5 would reflect 3 (mark)
B6 would reflect 0 (sally)
B7 would reflect 0 (james)

If adding the value b6 into cell B3 (new)
Would add 6 to sally's mark
As well as adding it to B1 giving a total of 9
And resetting B3 (new) to zero
The same would happen if b9 was added into cell B3
That number would be added to James and onto whatever total was in B1
Always returning B3 to zero
etc.

Can someone please help
At first I thought it would be easy but now I see that It's beyond me

Thanks again
Mike from Africa
South Africa

--
=================================

Tell me and I'll forget
Show me and I'll remember
Involve me and I WILL learn

=================================

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

It is unclear what you are trying to achieve
Try explaining another way.
What do you mean by "title"? Are you thinking of what Excel calls a NAME -
look in Help
If Mike's title is 'a' what does 'a3' mean?
best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default reset value back to zero REVISED

Sorry if I have not explained fully
Step one would be to enter a number say 6 into cell B3 when enter is pressed
this number would reflect in B1 start off number would be 0
When another number is entered say 7 into cell B3 when enter is pressed it
would add it to the 6 that is in B1 giving a 13 in B1 and then resetting B3
back to zero
Ready for the next number to be entered etc

The next step would be to allocate a symbol to each of the three persons
lets say a b c so that when I enter a a or b or c in front of a number
it would recognize which persons cell it would add this to as well as
adding that value to B1 increasing the totals as each persons numbers are
inputted as well as resetting B3 back to zero

Trying to keep records of how many jobs are done by each person s well as
the total of jobs done
I know I can use =sum(B5:B7) to get the overall total but how do I get B3
reset to zero after each entry

Hope this makes more sense
Mike from Africa
South Africa