Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default importing a cell value

I need to import a cell values from an un-opened .xls using a variable address
ie
cell A34 = the location of the .xls on our server
(j:\121213\Drafting\Quants\)
"105 White Ant" = the name of the .xls
B3 = the cell I need to import

C6 = value(A34+"105 White Ant"+B3)

Any help or advice would be hugely appriciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You would normally use INDIRECT to do this, but it will only work with
workbooks that are open. If you want to avoid macros or add-ins (such
as Laurent Longre's morefunc or Harlan Grove's PULL function), then
you will have to open your second workbook.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"Kristian G" wrote:
I need to import a cell values from an un-opened .xls using a variable address
ie
cell A34 = the location of the .xls on our server
(j:\121213\Drafting\Quants\)
"105 White Ant" = the name of the .xls
B3 = the cell I need to import

C6 = value(A34+"105 White Ant"+B3)

Any help or advice would be hugely appriciated- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

One way to approach this is to construct a "Text" formula, which can
reference your variables, and then convert that "Text" formula to an XL
"legal" formula.

See if this old post helps:

http://tinyurl.com/35tkzu

--