Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Autofill a city and state from a zipcode

I have about 400 addresses to enter in. I was wondering if there was a way,
in excel for me to type in a zip code and have Excel fill in the city and
state automatically.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Autofill a city and state from a zipcode

Yes, there is a way to autofill a city and state from a zipcode in Excel. Here are the steps:
  1. Open a new Excel worksheet and enter the zip codes in one column.
  2. In the adjacent column, enter the following formula:
    Formula:
    =VLOOKUP(A2,'Zip Codes'!A:B,2,FALSE
    Note: Replace "A2" with the cell reference of the first zip code in your list. Also, make sure to create a separate worksheet named "Zip Codes" with two columns: one for zip codes and one for city and state.
  3. Press Enter to apply the formula to the first cell.
  4. Drag the formula down to autofill the remaining cells in the column.
  5. The city and state corresponding to each zip code will be automatically filled in.

That's it! Now you can easily autofill the city and state for all 400 addresses by simply entering the zip codes.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You need to create a table first, then you can use a VLOOKUP formula, ample
description on how to use that formula is in help. Create the table like

zip city state

then use 2 vlookups, one for the city and one for the state

Peo Sjoblom

"Drewscifer" wrote in message
I have about 400 addresses to enter in. I was wondering if there was a way,
in excel for me to type in a zip code and have Excel fill in the city and
state automatically.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR CLR is offline

The VLOOKUP formula will perform the task you wish. You will first need to
set up a table of all the possible ZipCodes/Cities/States you are interested
in.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Drewscifer" wrote:

I have about 400 addresses to enter in. I was wondering if there was a way,
in excel for me to type in a zip code and have Excel fill in the city and
state automatically.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If you have a table of zipcodes, e.g., in a separate sheet (say, sheet
"Zips"):

A B C
1 Zip Code City State
2 00000 City1 ST
3 00001 City2 ST

You could then use, in your entry sheet:

A1: <zip code
B1: =VLOOKUP(A1,'Zips'!A:C,2,FALSE)
C1: =VLOOKUP(A1,'Zips'!A:C,3,FALSE)

In article ,
Drewscifer wrote:

I have about 400 addresses to enter in. I was wondering if there was a way,
in excel for me to type in a zip code and have Excel fill in the city and
state automatically.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hello,

You would have to buy that from USPS or one of the many vendors that
sells this information.

HTH,
JP

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
You need to create a table first, then you can use a VLOOKUP formula, ample
description on how to use that formula is in help. Create the table like

zip city state

then use 2 vlookups, one for the city and one for the state

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

No. It's a spreadsheet application...

In article ,

So Excell does not contain or cannot access all US zipcodes?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You can download a zip code database he
http://databases.about.com/od/access...dedatabase.htm