Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How do I remove from excel automatic date function?

I would like to know if its possible to stop the function in excel that
automatically changes numbers such as 2-28-6 into 2/28/2006.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You can preformat the cell as Text (format|cells|number tab), then do your data
entry.

Or you can prefix your entry with an apostrophe: '2-28-6

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If you'll admit that it is not actually a number
and will not be used arithmetically, you can format
the column as text, or precede the entry with a single
quote to make it text by overriding the format temporarily.

Otherwise Excel will treat it as a number and it has nothing
to do with how you format a cell as that is only to tell Excel
that it is a number and describe the format of the display.
--
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP -- Excel