Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default formula problem

I have a big excel file(300m). When I analyse the data on the sheet, say, for
example, give cell D2 the value of C2, then insert a formula =D2+1 for D3,
then dragging the D column for the same formula. But the strange thing is
that the cells that I thave dragged have the same value, not the sequence
with 1 added. however , the formula is always right for each cell but still
returns the same value.

When i do it one by one by hand, it returns the right answer

very odd situation, and hopes for any help

Thx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Jonathan,

Sounds like someone has turned off the automatic re-calc (Tools|Options|Calculation). If you want to keep it that way, pressing F9
will force a recalc.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Jonathan" wrote in message ...
I have a big excel file(300m). When I analyse the data on the sheet, say, for
example, give cell D2 the value of C2, then insert a formula =D2+1 for D3,
then dragging the D column for the same formula. But the strange thing is
that the cells that I thave dragged have the same value, not the sequence
with 1 added. however , the formula is always right for each cell but still
returns the same value.

When i do it one by one by hand, it returns the right answer

very odd situation, and hopes for any help

Thx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Have you checked ToolsOptionsCalculation tab, Automatic calculation?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel