Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Mel Mel is offline

Default totaling rows

New at this hope this makes sense:

I have rows of data that include entering demographics, 6 columns indicate
race, 2 columns gender, six age range columns and a total participant column.

What formula would add the numbers in each of the demographics and insure
that the different ranges equal each other and the total participants for
each row.

Thanks, Mel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Mel Mel is offline

"Mel" wrote:

New at this hope this makes sense:

I have rows of data that include entering demographics, 6 columns indicate
race, 2 columns gender, six age range columns and a total participant column.

What formula would add the numbers in each of the demographics and insure
that the different ranges equal each other and the total participants for
each row.

ie.
col. I J K L M N O P Q R S T
U V
WB AOHU Male Female <5 5-12 13-18 19-49 50-64 65+ Total
row 55 4 27 28 59
59
It would let the person know the Gender doesn't equal the other totals.
Mel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Taken separately,

=SUM(I2:N2) gives the total of the race columns,
=O2+P2 gives the total of the gender columns,
=SUM(Q2:V2) gives the total of the age columns,

assuming your data is on row 2. So, depending on what you want to
highlight, you can put these together in an IF formula, eg:

=IF(SUM(I2:N2)<O2+P2,"Gender/Race
difference",IF(SUM(Q2:V2)<SUM(I2:N2),"Age/Race
difference",IF(O2+P2<SUM(Q2:V2),"Gender/Age difference","Totals
agree")))

Is this the kind of thing you want? Obviously, Excel can't tell you
which is correct, just point out that there is a difference.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 24, 4:36 pm, Mel wrote:
"Mel" wrote:
New at this hope this makes sense:

I have rows of data that include entering demographics, 6 columns indicate
race, 2 columns gender, six age range columns and a total participant column.

What formula would add the numbers in each of the demographics and insure
that the different ranges equal each other and the total participants for
each row.

ie.
col. I J K L M N O P Q R S T
U V
WB AOHU Male Female <5 5-12 13-18 19-49 50-64 65+ Total
row 55 4 27 28 59
59
It would let the person know the Gender doesn't equal the other totals.
Mel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Mel Mel is offline

Thank you so much, took the formula you wrote and add another IF statement to
include the total. Prefect just what I wanted. Thanks again.