Posted to alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Dos command

I used the "dir" command in dos to list all the folders and file in that
directory. However, I want to go into a folder called "A" in the directory
just listed. What is the command for this at the prompt?

Posted to alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Richard

cd A
if the folder is directly off the folder you are currently located.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Richard" <nomailplease.com wrote in message
I used the "dir" command in dos to list all the folders and file in
that directory. However, I want to go into a folder called "A" in the
directory just listed. What is the command for this at the prompt?

Posted to alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Richard wrote:

I used the "dir" command in dos to list all the folders and file in that
directory. However, I want to go into a folder called "A" in the directory
just listed. What is the command for this at the prompt?

There is a nice program called Directory Lister for Windows that
generates a HTML page with whatever directories you want on a computer.
I use it, along with a search & replace to do most of the grunt work to
create index pages for photos or PDF files.

http://freeware.prv.pl/

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel.programming

ChDir Statement

Changes the current directory or folder.

Syntax

ChDir path

The required path argument is a string expression that identifies which
directory or folder becomes the new default directory or folder. The path
may include the drive. If no drive is specified, ChDir changes the default
directory or folder on the current drive.

Remarks

The ChDir statement changes the default directory but not the default drive.
For example, if the default drive is C, the following statement changes the
default directory on drive D, but C remains the default drive:

ChDir "D:\TMP"

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Richard" <nomailplease.com wrote in message
I used the "dir" command in dos to list all the folders and file in that
directory. However, I want to go into a folder called "A" in the directory
just listed. What is the command for this at the prompt?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Here are a couple of links that may help you in the future as you're working
in command line mode:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
and
http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm

"Richard" wrote:

I used the "dir" command in dos to list all the folders and file in that
directory. However, I want to go into a folder called "A" in the directory
just listed. What is the command for this at the prompt?

Posted to alt.certification.a-plus,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could use:

C:\DIR A\*.*

to get a directory of the folder without actually changing to it,

or you could use

C:\CD A

To switch to the A folder (the prompt would then be C:\A)

And then just plain "DIR"