Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Linking workbooks

I am using winxp pro and msoffice 2003

We have a workbook with 40 some worksheets in it, each worksheet being a
listing of products and cost levels for a particular vendor. This is our
'master' workbook.

Each customer has a workbook containing the worksheets of the vendors
they use. There are about 55 of these 'customer' workbooks.

I want to link the 'customer' workbooks/worksheets to the 'master' so
when the prices are changed on the 'master', they will be reflected
throughout all of the workbooks. Right now, the master is being changed,
then the info is being given to the various sales people and they are
changing the workbooks for their own customers on their individual
computers instead of having all of this info on the server.

Because this is such a large project, I want to be sure I am taking the
right approach before I get started and find myself going in the wrong
direction. I hate doing things twice!!

Is linking the cells in the customer worksheets to the cells in the
master worksheet the best way to go or would it be better to use some
kind of vba coding to do such a large project. Or maybe there is some
other way to accomplish this that I am completely unaware of. I simply
know it can be done and I know how to do easy cell linking, but I am not
sure it is a good way to do it when doing so much linking.

Any help or advice you can give me will be much appreciated.

Thank you
Joanne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Joanne,
One way to do this is :
Open "Master" worksheet and a "Customer" worksheet.
Find "Price" to be linked on "Customer" worksheet, in the cell that has the
price, select the cell,type "=", then select the appropriate cell on "Master"
worksheet,so on and so forth....
If these worksheets are located in the same folder, it will be much easier.
The instruct all users to select update links, when they open their
"Customer" worksheets.
Good luck,hth.