Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Time as a fraction

Hi Group,

I need to express total time as a fraction, for example Excel shaws the
result of a time calculation as 8:30 which is eight hours and thirty minutes,
I need to have it as 8 1/2 or 8.50 hours, is this possible? Many thanks for
any help. Grahamj
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

XL stores time as fractional days, so multiply hours by 24 to get
decimal hours:

A1: 8:30
A2: =A1*24

A2 returns 8.5 when formatted as general.

In article ,
Graham F wrote:

Hi Group,

I need to express total time as a fraction, for example Excel shaws the
result of a time calculation as 8:30 which is eight hours and thirty minutes,
I need to have it as 8 1/2 or 8.50 hours, is this possible? Many thanks for
any help. Grahamj

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Multiply the 8:30 by 24 and format as General or number.

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings