Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default linking data

I know how to copy data from one Excel file and do a Paste Special, Paste as
Link onto another file. That works fine but the updated data flows in one
way only. Is there a way of linking two Excel files so that you have the
same data on each one, but they are linked so that updating data in one file
will automatically be shown in the second file, and this will happen no
matter which of the files is updated? I don't see anything in Excel that
would allow this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Stephen,

You can do the tow way flow, but it is a BAD idea.

Better is to use one workbook, with one worksheet as your data sheet, and insert a second sheet
instead of using a second workbook.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Stephen Larivee" wrote in message
. ..
I know how to copy data from one Excel file and do a Paste Special, Paste as Link onto another
file. That works fine but the updated data flows in one way only. Is there a way of linking two
Excel files so that you have the same data on each one, but they are linked so that updating data
in one file will automatically be shown in the second file, and this will happen no matter which of
the files is updated? I don't see anything in Excel that would allow this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Briefly, if you could, why is it a bad idea? Because people will be
entering data and undoing something that the other person has done?

If it is possible to do it, how do you do it? I would like to play with it
on some demo files before I actually use it.

Thanks

"Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org wrote in message
Stephen,

You can do the tow way flow, but it is a BAD idea.

Better is to use one workbook, with one worksheet as your data sheet, and
insert a second sheet instead of using a second workbook.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Stephen Larivee" wrote in message
. ..
I know how to copy data from one Excel file and do a Paste Special, Paste
as Link onto another file. That works fine but the updated data flows in
one way only. Is there a way of linking two Excel files so that you have
the same data on each one, but they are linked so that updating data in
one file will automatically be shown in the second file, and this will
happen no matter which of the files is updated? I don't see anything in
Excel that would allow this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Stephen,

It is a bad idea because you have two different sources of data. Let's say that you change one
sheet and I change the other - the same cell, the same data. Which is correct, and which change
should take precedence? Or something happens that the data is entered in one place and isn't
correctly updated in the other. Have the data in one place, and that can't happen. Over the course
of time, maybe even years, think of the possibilities of those data sources staying synchronized...
slim to none, is my experience.

To do it, you would need to use the change event, to open the other workbook (if it isn't already
open) and write the data, then save the changes. Lots of overhead, and it would slow you down.