Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Intelligent lookup of a suburb

I'd like to be able to do an intelligent lookup of a suburb and then have
the postcode automatically show in another cell. I can do the vlookup of the
postcode once i have the suburb but I'd prefer not to have to use a dropdown
box for the suburb (there are THOUSANDS!)

Any suggestions? - in an access database I have it 'suggesting' suburbs as
you type - can you do something similar in Excel?

Thanks

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You might look at http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html - drop down to the
'D' list and check out some of the various Data Validation options. Pay
particular attention to the ones mentioning using either a Combo box or as
'dependent lists'?

"Mike Langensiepen" wrote:

I'd like to be able to do an intelligent lookup of a suburb and then have
the postcode automatically show in another cell. I can do the vlookup of the
postcode once i have the suburb but I'd prefer not to have to use a dropdown
box for the suburb (there are THOUSANDS!)

Any suggestions? - in an access database I have it 'suggesting' suburbs as
you type - can you do something similar in Excel?

Thanks

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Contextures has been very helpful so far - I'll take another look. Thanks.

"Don Guillett" wrote in message
You could use a worksheet_change event that fires when you type in the
name. Or dropdowns that bring up other dropdowns upon selecting the 1st
letter, ??

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software