Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Travel sheet in Excel 2003

I work with the State, and we have to report mileage using an Excel 2003
template - provided, of course, by 'The State' . The format is starting
destination - end point - purpose - mileage (end of row). Next row is last
end point - new destination - purpose - mileage (end) etc.
Here's what I am searching for. Is there an easy keyboard (or other)
shortcut to fill in 'last destination' on the new row? The closest I can
find is control + ' but this just fills in the what is in the cell above. I
need a trick to fill in the information from the cell in the above row to the
right. Is there a shortcut or formula I can write to perform this so I can
be lazy and don't have to cut and paste?
Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Couple of methods.

1. Left-click on fill handle of cell above and drag down to inserted row.

2. Select new cell and hit CTRL + d

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 24 May 2007 12:40:02 -0700, Sam D
wrote:

I work with the State, and we have to report mileage using an Excel 2003
template - provided, of course, by 'The State' . The format is starting
destination - end point - purpose - mileage (end of row). Next row is last
end point - new destination - purpose - mileage (end) etc.
Here's what I am searching for. Is there an easy keyboard (or other)
shortcut to fill in 'last destination' on the new row? The closest I can
find is control + ' but this just fills in the what is in the cell above. I
need a trick to fill in the information from the cell in the above row to the
right. Is there a shortcut or formula I can write to perform this so I can
be lazy and don't have to cut and paste?
Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks for your reply -
when I CTRL + D, it duplicates the cell above. I need to duplicate the cell
up and to the right. If I left click and drag to the new cell, it highlights
a square of 4 cells...
Ideas?

wrote:

I work with the State, and we have to report mileage using an Excel 2003
template - provided, of course, by 'The State' . The format is starting
destination - end point - purpose - mileage (end of row). Next row is last
end point - new destination - purpose - mileage (end) etc.
Here's what I am searching for. Is there an easy keyboard (or other)
shortcut to fill in 'last destination' on the new row? The closest I can
find is control + ' but this just fills in the what is in the cell above. I
need a trick to fill in the information from the cell in the above row to the
right. Is there a shortcut or formula I can write to perform this so I can
be lazy and don't have to cut and paste?
Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

That's what I get for not reading everything.

You did say "row above and to the right"

Assume cell above is G4 and new cell is G5.

You want H4 copied to G5?

Drag H4 down to H5 then drag to G5. Delete H5

Other than copy/paste or some event code I can't think of anything else.

Gord

wrote:

I work with the State, and we have to report mileage using an Excel 2003
template - provided, of course, by 'The State' . The format is starting
destination - end point - purpose - mileage (end of row). Next row is last
end point - new destination - purpose - mileage (end) etc.
Here's what I am searching for. Is there an easy keyboard (or other)
shortcut to fill in 'last destination' on the new row? The closest I can
find is control + ' but this just fills in the what is in the cell above. I
need a trick to fill in the information from the cell in the above row to the
right. Is there a shortcut or formula I can write to perform this so I can
be lazy and don't have to cut and paste?
Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Could you not just pre-populate all of the relevant cells in rows from the
third down (assuming you have a row of titles then the first line of data)
with formula, such as in A3 put =IF(B2="","",B2) and copy this down.

Then each cell already has the destination from the previous line in - if
you don't need it you just overtype with the correct start point (or delete
for the very last row).
--
Adam Vero
MCP, MOS Master, MLSS, CWNA

"Sam D" wrote:

I work with the State, and we have to report mileage using an Excel 2003
template - provided, of course, by 'The State' . The format is starting
destination - end point - purpose - mileage (end of row). Next row is last
end point - new destination - purpose - mileage (end) etc.
Here's what I am searching for. Is there an easy keyboard (or other)
shortcut to fill in 'last destination' on the new row? The closest I can
find is control + ' but this just fills in the what is in the cell above. I
need a trick to fill in the information from the cell in the above row to the
right. Is there a shortcut or formula I can write to perform this so I can
be lazy and don't have to cut and paste?
Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

This formula is exactly what I was looking for. I tried the click and drag,
but this just highlights cells and doesn't drag. Dragging would be the easy
solution, for me :)
Please help me with the formula. I am pretty computer literate, but I don't
have much experience tweaking Excel.
I typed in the formula as =IF(B13=C12,C12=B13) (these are the coordinates
I'm up to on the semi-completed worksheet. I assumed that I supposed to fill
in the "" with coordinates?). This returns a 'Function Arguments' box. Can
you help me proceed, please?

Thanks so much for your help, guys -

"Sam D" wrote:

I work with the State, and we have to report mileage using an Excel 2003
template - provided, of course, by 'The State' . The format is starting
destination - end point - purpose - mileage (end of row). Next row is last
end point - new destination - purpose - mileage (end) etc.
Here's what I am searching for. Is there an easy keyboard (or other)
shortcut to fill in 'last destination' on the new row? The closest I can
find is control + ' but this just fills in the what is in the cell above. I
need a trick to fill in the information from the cell in the above row to the
right. Is there a shortcut or formula I can write to perform this so I can
be lazy and don't have to cut and paste?
Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Sam

Click and drag on the fill handle which is the small black square at bottom
right corner of the cell.

When you hover over that square you will get a black cross to drag.

If you don't have one go to ToolsOptionsEdit and checkmark "Allow cell drag
and drop".

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Sam D" wrote:

I work with the State, and we have to report mileage using an Excel 2003
template - provided, of course, by 'The State' . The format is starting
destination - end point - purpose - mileage (end of row). Next row is last
end point - new destination - purpose - mileage (end) etc.
Here's what I am searching for. Is there an easy keyboard (or other)
shortcut to fill in 'last destination' on the new row? The closest I can
find is control + ' but this just fills in the what is in the cell above. I
need a trick to fill in the information from the cell in the above row to the
right. Is there a shortcut or formula I can write to perform this so I can
be lazy and don't have to cut and paste?
Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Ok - figured the dragging out. Thanks for the tip. You're right, though. I
do have to drag it down, then across. If I can figure out the formula, to
prefill, then that would be great. I figured that this would be a common
travel/mileage shortcut that I just didn't know about... Sorry for all the
fuss. I'm surprised Excel doesn't have something like this built in...