Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Substituting letters for numers

I am trying to substitute letters for number values.
Trying to calculate my GPA while substituting an A for 4.0, (A=4.0) and
B=3.0 ...
I want to be able to see the letter grade in the sheet but be able to
multiply by the umber of credit hours. Like A*4cc=16 The A would equal 4 and
4*4=16
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Mon, 7 May 2007 15:00:01 -0700 from Mike
:
I am trying to substitute letters for number values.
Trying to calculate my GPA while substituting an A for 4.0, (A=4.0) and
B=3.0 ...
I want to be able to see the letter grade in the sheet but be able to
multiply by the umber of credit hours. Like A*4cc=16 The A would equal 4 and
4*4=16
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Put the grade-to-quality-point equivalence in a two-column table, and
use VLOOKUP to access it.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

tried this but cant get it to work
maybe a little more explanation?
If i get it correctly
1. make a chart like:
A 4.0
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D 1.0
F 0.0

2. use the lookup function???
3.??

"Don Guillett" wrote:

try this idea
=LOOKUP(F13,{"a","b","c","d";4,3,2,1})
or
=LOOKUP(F13,{"a","b","c","d";4,3,2,1})*4
--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Mike" wrote in message
I am trying to substitute letters for number values.
Trying to calculate my GPA while substituting an A for 4.0, (A=4.0) and
B=3.0 ...
I want to be able to see the letter grade in the sheet but be able to
multiply by the umber of credit hours. Like A*4cc=16 The A would equal 4
and
4*4=16
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

In Don's post, he assumes (for example's sake) that your actual grade is in
F13. So whatever grade you had in that cell would be matched with the list
of letters in the formula (case is not important) and the corresponding
number would be picked up from the list of numbers in the formulas. Since
you've tossed in +/- letter grades, an adjustment of his formulas would look
like this:

=LOOKUP(F13,{"a","b+","b","b-","c+","c","c-","d","f";4,3.3,3,2.7,2.3,2,1.7,1,0})
or
=LOOKUP(F13,{"a","b+","b","b-","c+","c","c-","d","f";4,3.3,3,2.7,2.3,2,1.7,1,0})*4

Meanwhile, Stan Brown has come along and offered VLOOKUP as a potential
solution to match grade and pick up value. Using that concept, and the table
you laid out, then if your table went from A1 to B9, you could use a formula
like this to get the value:
=VLOOKUP("B+",$A$1:$B$9,2,False)
and you could substitute a cell address containing the B+ where I have it in
the formula.

"Mike" wrote:

tried this but cant get it to work
maybe a little more explanation?
If i get it correctly
1. make a chart like:
A 4.0
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D 1.0
F 0.0

2. use the lookup function???
3.??

"Don Guillett" wrote:

try this idea
=LOOKUP(F13,{"a","b","c","d";4,3,2,1})
or
=LOOKUP(F13,{"a","b","c","d";4,3,2,1})*4
--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software