Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Automatically place text in one cell into cell in another sheet

I am having problems working out how to automatically place text from one
cell into a cell in another sheet.

I have read the post on 10 April 07 "Repeat text in exact cells in
multi-worksheets" and tried the solution:

"select the cell in question in the 2nd sheet, type an equal
sign, then click the 1st sheet tab and the cell where you want to link to,
then press enter. "

When I do this, I get the formula showing up in the cell to be copied to (in
my sheet the formula is: =People!B2
but the actual text in the cell to be copied doesn't appear.

I can't work out what is going on - can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

It could be a couple of things.

#1. Try formatting the cell as General (or anything but Text).
Then select that cell
Hit F2 followed by enter.

#2. Make sure that you aren't looking at formulas:
tools|options|view tab|make sure Formulas isn't checked.

#3. Make sure you started with an equal sign (not a space, then equal sign).

I'm putting money on the first one.

Another way:
select the "sending" cell
edit|copy
select the "receiving" cell
edit|paste special|click Paste Link

=======
And if that sending cell is empty, you may want to change your formula to look
more like:

=If(People!B2="","",People!B2)

Then if people!b2 is empty, you won't see a 0.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks Dave - you were right, it was your first suggestion.

#1. Try formatting the cell as General (or anything but Text).
Then select that cell
Hit F2 followed by enter.

#2. Make sure that you aren't looking at formulas:
tools|options|view tab|make sure Formulas isn't checked.

#3. Make sure you started with an equal sign (not a space, then equal
sign).