-   -   How to collapse rows in Excel,leaving a plus sign to open/close (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/138684-how-collapse-rows-excel-leaving-plus-sign-open-close.html)

Exasperated and Requiring Assistance

How to collapse rows in Excel,leaving a plus sign to open/close

I know how to hide / show the rows, but how do it so as to leave a little
plus sign in the corner that allows me to control the number of rows to
expand / contract (and I know you can do it - I've seen it on other
spreadsheets!)

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: How to collapse rows in Excel,leaving a plus sign to open/close

Yes, you can definitely collapse rows in Excel and leave a plus sign to open/close them. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Select the rows that you want to collapse.
  2. Right-click on the selected rows and choose "Group" from the drop-down menu.
  3. A dialog box will appear asking you whether you want to group the selected rows or columns. Make sure that "Rows" is selected and click "OK".
  4. You will notice that a small plus sign has appeared in the left-hand margin of your worksheet, next to the row numbers. Clicking on this plus sign will collapse the grouped rows.
  5. To expand the grouped rows again, simply click on the minus sign that has replaced the plus sign.

That's it! You can now collapse and expand your grouped rows using the plus and minus signs. This is a great way to organize your data and make it easier to navigate.

Dave Peterson

How to collapse rows in Excel,leaving a plus sign to open/close

Maybe you saw Data|subtotals in action--or Data|Group and Outline???

Both of these will show the outlining symbols to the left of the worksheet.

--

Dave Peterson

Exasperated and Requiring Assistance[_2_]

How to collapse rows in Excel,leaving a plus sign to open/clos

Thanks mate - u r a deadset legend

My display name is now no longer "Exasperated and Requiring Assistance" but,
"Cool, Calm and Collected"

Much obliged ;)

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Maybe you saw Data|subtotals in action--or Data|Group and Outline???

Both of these will show the outlining symbols to the left of the worksheet.

Exasperated and Requiring Assistance wrote:

I know how to hide / show the rows, but how do it so as to leave a little
plus sign in the corner that allows me to control the number of rows to
expand / contract (and I know you can do it - I've seen it on other
spreadsheets!)

--

Dave Peterson

Tom Atkins

How to collapse rows in Excel,leaving a plus sign to open/close

I don't know what you want