Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Struggling with IF formula...is it even the right one for me?

Let's say that I have a value in one cell, call it X. X is a numerical value
that needs not be touched or modified UNLESS it exceeds another numerical
value in another cell, call it Y. If it DOES exceed Y, then it must be made
to show as EQUAL to the value in Y. If it doesn't, it can show whatever it
is in reality.

How do I sculpt a formula for this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On Apr 9, 6:56 pm, Corradus
wrote:
Let's say that I have a value in one cell, call it X. X is a numerical value
that needs not be touched or modified UNLESS it exceeds another numerical
value in another cell, call it Y. If it DOES exceed Y, then it must be made
to show as EQUAL to the value in Y. If it doesn't, it can show whatever it
is in reality. How do I sculpt a formula for this?

If X is in A1 and Y is in B1, does the following work for you?

=min(A1, B1)

That formula would be put into a cell other than A1 or B1. But from
your description above, I wonder if you want the following in A1:

=min(X, B1)

where "X" is some expression or constant.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Mon, 9 Apr 2007 19:56:00 -0700 from Corradus
:
Let's say that I have a value in one cell, call it X. X is a numerical value
that needs not be touched or modified UNLESS it exceeds another numerical
value in another cell, call it Y. If it DOES exceed Y, then it must be made
to show as EQUAL to the value in Y. If it doesn't, it can show whatever it
is in reality.

in X1, put =MIN(whatever, Y1)

If "whatever" is smaller, X1 has that value. If "whatever" is larger,
X1 has the value of Y1.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/