Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Some fields show with their field names, others with F11, F12 etc

I am at the 'insert mail merge' step in Word 2003. I have my fields in the
top row of my XL 2003 sheet. Some of the fields are text, others are dates,
others are blank. I just need the text fields to show in the list (after
pressing the 'insert mail merge' button. The first few show okay but the rest
show as F11, F12, making it hard to remember what that field was.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Please read my spiel on a "good" data source file:
Data Source Files
For a mail merge, you need a data source file that contains a record on each
item. For instance, a record might be one person's name and mailing address,
or a part number with its dimensions and price.

This data file can be in one of many different formats. It may already be in
a Word table, an Excel file, an Access database table or query, a
comma-separated file (CSV file), or other file. The data may already exist
in your Outlook address book or Contacts folder.

You do not need to use all of the information in your data file to perform
the mail merge. You may have an employee list that contains addresses, but
also contains social security numbers and salaries. Your data file can be
left intact and information that isn't used can be ignored. You can continue
to use your data source files for other purposes; using it to perform a mail
merge in no way affects your existing file.

The data source file must be formatted so that the column headings (also
called labels or field names) are the first line or row in the file, and the
first record is the second line or row in the file.

Once you are certain that your data source file meets this criteria, you can
continue with the mail merge.

Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com