Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default I really need help. Need a formula. Need it yesterday.

I'm new to Excel formulas, and I need one that is well beyond me at this
stage, but probably a piece of cake for an Excel Wizard. I have a modest
staffing schedule on Excel that shows several teams of employees with
staffing requirements that may change every thirty minutes, as does the
number of employees available in each team.

I have the spreadsheet linked to another that provides the total, overall
staffing requirement for each half hour, so that the total staffing
requirement for each half-hour automatically loads to my staffing schedule.
Likewise with the total number of employees available for each half-hour and
the number of employees available in each team for each half-hour.

Currently, that leaves me with the problem manually of assigning the number
of employees required to be working in each team, based on their
availability, for each half-hour. This task can take me hours to complete as
I have other things to do at the same time. An associate produced a formula
that works on a percentage methodology, but the problem is that it results in
figures such as 7.2, instead of a whole number, so the entire sheet has to be
reviewed and manually corrected. At that point, I'm just as well off doing it
manually.

I need a formula that will calculate the staffing requirement for each team
for each half-hour based on employee availability. It should not staff above
the number of available employees each team, nor staff more than the total
required of all the teams combined.

I know that my description would do little to help me picture the situation.
So, if you're in a position to rescue a fellow American, I'd be glad to
phone, and/or send a copy of the spreadsheet, and can offer some modest
financial compensation for the effort.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I could be misunderstanding, but it sounds as simple as using the ROUNDDOWN
function...? If you click "Insert" - "Function", look in Math & Trig, go to
ROUNDDOWN. I think that is a very simple way to fix your problem, if I read
that right.