Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Freezing Date/Time after data entry.

If I want to make column A today's date, and column B Now, both of which
function I know how to do, is there a way to freeze these two columns when I
have entered data in, say, columns C through G so that I have an accurate
record of time and date as to when the data in the other columns was entered
that won't reset to today and now when I open up the spreadsheet again?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR CLR is offline

One way would be to enter the DATE by pressing Ctrl and hold while pressing
semicolon, and the TIME by Ctrl-Shift and colon.......these are permanent
values which will not change as the formulas =TODAY() and =NOW() do.

Another way would be to use a change-event macro to automatically enter the
date and time when you input values in another cell in the row......if this
is what you want, post back and somone will help........

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Shadyhosta" wrote:

If I want to make column A today's date, and column B Now, both of which
function I know how to do, is there a way to freeze these two columns when I
have entered data in, say, columns C through G so that I have an accurate
record of time and date as to when the data in the other columns was entered
that won't reset to today and now when I open up the spreadsheet again?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

And yet another way would be to select the column(s), EditCopy, keep the
selection active or select the same columns again, and EditPaste Special,
and under the "Paste Special" drop down menu, check the box which says
"Values" and click "OK". You are just telling Excel that you want the
formulas replaced with the current values...and these won't change when
"today" is no longer today but some past date.