Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default add alpha letter to column of numbers

I have a column of part numbers that I want to re-identify with a "W" in
front of the number. There has to be a quick way of doing this but
everything I have tried fails.
Any advice??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR CLR is offline

One way is to CONCATENATE.........using a helper column, say column B, put
this in B1 and copy down

="W"&A1

Then do copy PasteSpecial Values on Column B to remove the
formulas........then delete column A if you wish......

It can also be done with VBA code, without using a helper column, if that
method is of interest.......

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"-John W." <-John wrote in message
I have a column of part numbers that I want to re-identify with a "W" in
front of the number. There has to be a quick way of doing this but
everything I have tried fails.
Any advice??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Here's a simple macro:

Sub AddW()

Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In Selection
If cell.Value < "" Then
cell.Value = "W" & cell.Value
Else: cell.Value = cell.Value
End If

Next cell

End Sub

Select the range of part numbers then run the macro.

Biff