Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Using an Index by Column Headings instead of Column Numbers

I am using Excel 2000
Recently I was very kindly helped to to formulate an address from a linked
spreadsheet.
This worked well BUT the man who keeps the database that the spreadsheet is
linked to has a habit, if he has to do a lot of updating, of moving relevant
columns together. Apparently Access works on column headings/field names so
the location of a column in a table is irrelevant.
This means I have to check the linked spreadsheet to verify if I am still
using the correct column numbers.
I have looked at all the index formulas but I cannot seem to find one that
uses column names instead of column numbers.

QUESTION:
Is there a formula that I can use that looks at the column name ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sean Bishop
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You can use the INDEX and MATCH functions, as shown he

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Dear Debra,
Thank you for your answer.
It worked and has solved my problem.
I did however notice that if the cell was formatted as TEXT it did not work
but when formatted as GENERAL it did, but this seems to be the case with a
lot of formulas.
Again, thank you.

Sean Bishop