Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Differences between values in two work sheets

Can any one suggest to this dumbo how I can take two work sheets of similar
sales data both of which are similar but some fields missing from both
respectfully and create a new work sheet that will report on the difference
between them. I have ony been able to add them together with any success
using pivot tables which is quite frustrating
Thank you for any help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Have a look here
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/duplicates.htm

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#Replacing
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"leigh martin" wrote in message
Can any one suggest to this dumbo how I can take two work sheets of
similar
sales data both of which are similar but some fields missing from both
respectfully and create a new work sheet that will report on the
difference
between them. I have ony been able to add them together with any success
using pivot tables which is quite frustrating
Thank you for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I think that all went over my head Im sure that finding duplicates is not
what I meant sorry. What I have is two spread sheets which have been
generated for two different trading periods. One for 2005 and one for 2006.
They are both basically the same but do differ when certain products have not
traded in both years. I have been able to produce a third spread sheet using
pivot tables and also the consolidation function but in both cases I have
only been able to do a good job of adding the corresponding values up
correctly. I want to do the same thing but instead take one from the other
and produce a spread sheet that illustrates the difference cell by cell of
the two trading periods. I know I can edit both spread sheets so that they
are spaced the same as each other and then take one from the other but they
are quite big sheets and there is a lot of them for all our branches and
suppliers. Does this illustrate what I am trying to do better. Please help

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Have a look here
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/duplicates.htm

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#Replacing
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"leigh martin" wrote in message
Can any one suggest to this dumbo how I can take two work sheets of
similar
sales data both of which are similar but some fields missing from both
respectfully and create a new work sheet that will report on the
difference
between them. I have ony been able to add them together with any success
using pivot tables which is quite frustrating
Thank you for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Some thoughts. Think what you're after here could be done using either
VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH provided there's unique values in a key* col which is
common to both sheets, eg: Salesperson ids?
*which could be used in matching

Suggest you try Debra's nice coverage on VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH at her:
VLOOKUP

INDEX/MATCH

There's also some sample workbooks available for d/l & study
--
Max
Singapore