Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default IS IT POSSIBLE TO LOCK THE SHEET BUT PARTIALLY

I'd like to know if it is possible to only enable certain cells or parts in
the workbook, where you can write and rest, especially parts where you have
put formulas, to be locked,or make it skip on those cells, or for that matter
the rows.
Is anybody familiar with this kind of stuff, I'd apreciate any suggestions.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Shariq,

By default all cells in excel are protected or locked, select the cells you
want to unlock and go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, then
go to tools, protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want,
now only the cells that you unlocked can be edited. Be aware that this
protection is very easy to break, the code to do so can be found very easy,
but it will work for most people .

If you only need a few locked I would select them all first, Ctrl A, then
go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, then select the cells
you want to lock and go to format cells and check locked, the go to tools,
protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want, now the cells
that you locked can not be edited
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Shariq" wrote in message
I'd like to know if it is possible to only enable certain cells or parts
in
the workbook, where you can write and rest, especially parts where you
have
put formulas, to be locked,or make it skip on those cells, or for that
matter
the rows.
Is anybody familiar with this kind of stuff, I'd apreciate any
suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you Paul, you have helped me a greate deal, I'm a beginner but learning
fast thanks to this extraordinary service provided by excel, and thanks to
all who take time to help people like me, you all are heroes in my eyes,
doing it without seeking any benefits, keep the good work going guys, hope
someday I'll be joinig your group.
Shariq,

"Shariq" wrote in message
I'd like to know if it is possible to only enable certain cells or parts
in
the workbook, where you can write and rest, especially parts where you
have
put formulas, to be locked,or make it skip on those cells, or for that
matter
the rows.
Is anybody familiar with this kind of stuff, I'd apreciate any
suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Shariq, thanks for the feedback, glad I could help
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Shariq" wrote in message
I'd like to know if it is possible to only enable certain cells or
parts
in
the workbook, where you can write and rest, especially parts where you
have
put formulas, to be locked,or make it skip on those cells, or for that
matter
the rows.
Is anybody familiar with this kind of stuff, I'd apreciate any
suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You're here - that makes you part of the group. You're even ready to answer
a question now, should someone else need help with locking/unlocking cells
and protecting a worksheet. Welcome.