Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default IF formula with many solutions.

I have created a detailed worksheet that assigns item numbers to entries in
Column A that correspond to item descriptions (text) in Column B. (This
worksheet lists all products for sale by my company.)

I want to create a new worksheet that is a summary page of the above. Only
actually items purchased (Column D "Qty" is selected), will be carried over
to this worksheet. I want this worksheet to autfill in some way. Perhaps
when an item number is entered into Column A of the new worksheet, Column B
will autofill with the corresponding information from the first Worksheet.
There are about 30 possible item numbers/descriptions that could fill any
particular row. How do I formulate an equation for this much information?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Sounds like you need VLOOKUP. Learn about this function in Help and then
come back with more questions. If you do, please give a more exact
description of data layout. Something like: in Book1, the item codes are in
A1:A100 and the item names in B1:B100
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Jaime.CIS" wrote in message
I have created a detailed worksheet that assigns item numbers to entries in
Column A that correspond to item descriptions (text) in Column B. (This
worksheet lists all products for sale by my company.)

I want to create a new worksheet that is a summary page of the above.
Only
actually items purchased (Column D "Qty" is selected), will be carried
over
to this worksheet. I want this worksheet to autfill in some way. Perhaps
when an item number is entered into Column A of the new worksheet, Column
will autofill with the corresponding information from the first Worksheet.
There are about 30 possible item numbers/descriptions that could fill any
particular row. How do I formulate an equation for this much information?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR CLR is offline

Personally, I would Autofilter Sheet1 on column D (all non-blanks), and then
copy and paste the filtered results over to the new sheet...........if this
must be done frequently, it can be automated with macros.......

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jaime.CIS" wrote:

I have created a detailed worksheet that assigns item numbers to entries in
Column A that correspond to item descriptions (text) in Column B. (This
worksheet lists all products for sale by my company.)

I want to create a new worksheet that is a summary page of the above. Only
actually items purchased (Column D "Qty" is selected), will be carried over
to this worksheet. I want this worksheet to autfill in some way. Perhaps
when an item number is entered into Column A of the new worksheet, Column B
will autofill with the corresponding information from the first Worksheet.
There are about 30 possible item numbers/descriptions that could fill any
particular row. How do I formulate an equation for this much information?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks for the help thus far. I've been learning about the VLOOKUP function,
but I'm still unable to get it to work for me. Please continue to
advise....here is what I'm attempting to do:
Worksheet 1 - A16:A62 are item numbers (values ranging 3.51:8.12) and
B16:B62 are item descriptions (text entries). On Worksheet 2, I want to be
able to enter a value (3.52:8.12) in column A and have the corresponding item
description autofill into column B. I tried assigning range names, etc, but
something is wrong in my VLOOKUP function.

"Jaime.CIS" wrote in message
I have created a detailed worksheet that assigns item numbers to entries in
Column A that correspond to item descriptions (text) in Column B. (This
worksheet lists all products for sale by my company.)

I want to create a new worksheet that is a summary page of the above.
Only
actually items purchased (Column D "Qty" is selected), will be carried
over
to this worksheet. I want this worksheet to autfill in some way. Perhaps
when an item number is entered into Column A of the new worksheet, Column
will autofill with the corresponding information from the first Worksheet.
There are about 30 possible item numbers/descriptions that could fill any
particular row. How do I formulate an equation for this much information?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Jaime

In B1 of Sheet2 enter this...........

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!$A$16:$B$62,2,FALSE)

Enter one of your numbers in A1 and the appropriate text will appear from Sheet1
into B1

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP