Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Formula Help

I have a question that I hope someone can help with.

A B C

1 ACTIVE 11.88% _______ Average
2 ACTIVE 12.80%
3 ACTIVE 14.67%
4 INACTIVE 22.90%
5 ACTIVE 45.09%

If I wanted to get an average in cell C1 of all the cells in Column B1:B5
that read active in Column A1:A5 how would I write that formula?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

One way:

=SUMIF(A1:A5,"Active",B1:B5)/COUNTIF(A1:A5,"Active")

Format as %

Biff

"Excel for Dummies" wrote in
message ...
I have a question that I hope someone can help with.

A B C

1 ACTIVE 11.88% _______ Average
2 ACTIVE 12.80%
3 ACTIVE 14.67%
4 INACTIVE 22.90%
5 ACTIVE 45.09%

If I wanted to get an average in cell C1 of all the cells in Column B1:B5
that read active in Column A1:A5 how would I write that formula?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Another option:
I'm not generally a fan of array formulas*, but this one is pretty straight
forward.

With your posted data in Cells A1:B5

C1: =AVERAGE(IF(A1:A5="ACTIVE",B1:B5))

*Note: For array formulas, hold down [Ctrl] and [Shift] when you press
[Enter], instead of just pressing [Enter].

Does that help?
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP