Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Trouble opening files

I changed from MS Works 7.0 to MS Office 2003. I had created numerous
spreadsheet documents in Works. I started to convert them from Works to
Excel. I converted the first one by opening Excel, choosing FileOpen. In the
Open dialog box, I clicked on the file I wanted, and it opened in Excel. I
worked on it, and then closed it and it was saved with the extension of .xlr.
I later tried to open it and could not do so. I also noticed that all other
spreadsheet documents had been automatically changed from Works to .xlr. I
found that I can open the documents by using the Open dialog box procedure
set forth above. This is more burdensome than simply going to the file,
clicking it and having it open. Can anyone give me some help. Thank you.

--
Robert
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Right click on the file in Windows Explorer

Click Open With

Then Click Choose Program...

Then in the list, choose Excel, then check the box that says to always use
this program.

I do however suggest if you're thinking of e-mailing the spreadsheet to
anyone etc, that you may want to convert it to a .xls. (do a save AS)

Hope it helps, reply and let us know if it's helped, and If I answered your
posting, please mark it as answered!

--
Dan Walters

"Robert" wrote:

I changed from MS Works 7.0 to MS Office 2003. I had created numerous
spreadsheet documents in Works. I started to convert them from Works to
Excel. I converted the first one by opening Excel, choosing FileOpen. In the
Open dialog box, I clicked on the file I wanted, and it opened in Excel. I
worked on it, and then closed it and it was saved with the extension of .xlr.
I later tried to open it and could not do so. I also noticed that all other
spreadsheet documents had been automatically changed from Works to .xlr. I
found that I can open the documents by using the Open dialog box procedure
set forth above. This is more burdensome than simply going to the file,
clicking it and having it open. Can anyone give me some help. Thank you.

--
Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:09:01 -0800, Robert
wrote:

I changed from MS Works 7.0 to MS Office 2003. I had created numerous
spreadsheet documents in Works. I started to convert them from Works to
Excel. I converted the first one by opening Excel, choosing FileOpen. In the
Open dialog box, I clicked on the file I wanted, and it opened in Excel. I
worked on it, and then closed it and it was saved with the extension of .xlr.
I later tried to open it and could not do so. I also noticed that all other
spreadsheet documents had been automatically changed from Works to .xlr. I
found that I can open the documents by using the Open dialog box procedure
set forth above. This is more burdensome than simply going to the file,
clicking it and having it open. Can anyone give me some help. Thank you.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks everyone for your offers of help. I appreciate the cooperation. I have
solved my problem. I saved the files as .xls rather than .xlr and they opened
fine in Excel.
--
Robert