Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default how many killobytes makes one Megabyte

using XP professional
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I believe that it is in increments of 1024.

1024b = 1 kb
1024kb = 1 MB
1024MB = 1 GB

I could be corrected on this though.

Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
www.excelguru.ca

using XP professional

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

It depends on what you are talking about.
Ken Puls has given one correct answer - when referring to amounts of memory
(RAM) and when Windows XP to get drive sizes and space available, it is just
as he has said.
1024 = 1 kilobyte
1024 x 1024 = 1 megabyte
1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 1 gigabyte

But some devices are measured differently for marketing purposes. Hard disk
drives are a good example of that. A 1 Gigabyte hard drive (if you could
find one that small) would only have 1,000,000,000 (1000 x 1000 x 1000) bytes
of storage available on it. So when you got your drive home and installed
it, you would find that Windows would report it as a .93 GB drive.

For more real-world numbers, consider these:
I have a 250 GB (advertised size) drive that shows up as 220 GB in Windows
I have a 500 GB (advertised size) drive that shows up as 465 GB in Windows

using XP professional

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

JLatham (removethis) wrote:
For more real-world numbers, consider these:
I have a 250 GB (advertised size) drive that shows up as 220 GB in Windows
I have a 500 GB (advertised size) drive that shows up as 465 GB in Windows

While you are correct that sometimes a "kilobyte" is 1024 and sometimes
it is 1000 (and similarly for megabytes and gigabytes), I do not
believe that explains the difference you describe above -- at least,
not entirely. For example, if "250 GB" were 250,000,000,000, that
would be 232.8 GB, where GB is 1024*1024*1024.

I believe that some or most of the disparity that you observe is due to
the difference between "formatted" and "unformatted" numbers. The
ratio of formatted-to-unformatted space depends on the sector size,
which varies from one OS to another. So disk manufacturers usually
advertise the unformatted number.

In addition, as part of the formatting process, operating systems set
aside a certain amount of space for directory and other purposes. That
space is usually not included in the available space that the OS
reports to the user.

Once upon a time, the convention was to use "K" for 1024 and "k" for
1000. I do not think we can rely on that convention anymore. So both
of you are correct: KB, MB and GB may be powers of 1000 or 1024.
Y'never know for sure.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Remember that Windows isn't reporting fractions of GB here. But I do agree,
part of the loss of usable storage space is in reserving space for the disk
structure itself. No argument from me on that at all.

That further complicates the confusion factor in that with a hard drive you
would have:
Advertised capacity
Unformatted capacity
Formatted capacity

As for "being sure" - there is a way, but has not been widely advertised and
less widely used. IEEE Standard 1541 defines terms to distinguish between
1000 and 1024 based values. Two good write ups on that are at:
http://freedos-32.sourceforge.net/sh...page=standards
http://www.answers.com/topic/ieee-1541

Google for IEEE 1541 and you'll find more.
JLatham
Member, IEEE (Computer Group) <g
{no I didn't have anything to do with the standard}

" wrote:

JLatham (removethis) wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

1MB = 1000 KB