-   -   decimal places in calculations (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/113751-decimal-places-calculations.html)

Peter_jay_01

decimal places in calculations

Can I force excel to use the exact value obtained by multiplying a number
which has six decimal places rounded to three places by a constant rather
than the value got by using the full six places in the calculation?
eg 1.105566 x 24 = 26.533484 but 1.106 x 24 = 26.544. I'm a tyro at both
excel and maths and the answer may be obvious. I want to align the results
from a capital gains calculation made by hand with one from a tax program.

Niek Otten

decimal places in calculations

ToolsOptionsCalculation tab, check "Precision as displayed"

Check HELP first so you know what you're doing

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Peter_jay_01" wrote in message
| Can I force excel to use the exact value obtained by multiplying a number
| which has six decimal places rounded to three places by a constant rather
| than the value got by using the full six places in the calculation?
| eg 1.105566 x 24 = 26.533484 but 1.106 x 24 = 26.544. I'm a tyro at both
| excel and maths and the answer may be obvious. I want to align the results
| from a capital gains calculation made by hand with one from a tax program.

Trevor Shuttleworth

decimal places in calculations

=ROUND(1.105566,3) = 1.106

Is that what you want ?