Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Please HElp.

I am using excel as a magazine order data base. I would like to place all the
rows in alphabetical order base on collumm A, the first collumm. I am using
excel 2000.

I know how to do this using Excel 2003, so i dont know what the difference
should be?
SO far if i click on the first cell or row number and hit the ascending
button it will put collumm A in alphabetical order. But ,I need all the other
collumms to follow with the collumm A. Thanks for any help .--
Gonzo~
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Boo Boo is offline

Gonzo,

Nearly there...just make sure you select ALL of your data before sorting
into alphabetical order (i.e. select all data in range, sort by column A
(ascending)).

Excel also lets you sort by more than one key i.e. column A is your primary
key, you may want B to be a secondary key etc.

e.g.

Column A contains surnames:

Smith
Smith

Column B contains initial

Sorting by column A alone won't necessarily get the right results - sort by
column A, then B etc. - just thought I'd let you know...

"Gonzo" wrote:

I am using excel as a magazine order data base. I would like to place all the
rows in alphabetical order base on collumm A, the first collumm. I am using
excel 2000.

I know how to do this using Excel 2003, so i dont know what the difference
should be?
SO far if i click on the first cell or row number and hit the ascending
button it will put collumm A in alphabetical order. But ,I need all the other
collumms to follow with the collumm A. Thanks for any help .--
Gonzo~

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Press F1 or click Help, then select the Index tab - I'm sure this will
be the same as in XL2003 (I also have XL2000).

Hope this helps.

Pete

Gonzo wrote:
Stupid question? Where in excel 2000 is the help index.
--
Gonzo~

"Don Guillett" wrote:

look in the help index for SORT