Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Vat formulas

I would like to be able to set up a template for my vat returns each month,
using the correct formulas for total, standard and vat. Can you please help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Sandra

With Vat rate in A1 as a percentage e.g 17.5% for Standard or 5% for
Lower
If you want to go from Gross figure to Net of VAT figure, then with
Gross in B1
=B1/(1+A1)
If you want to Know the amount of VAT contained within the Gross figure
then
=B1-(B1/(1+A1))

If you are going from Net of VAT figure to Gross, then
=B1*(1+A1)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Sandra" wrote in message
I would like to be able to set up a template for my vat returns each
month,
using the correct formulas for total, standard and vat. Can you please
help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Roger

Thanks for your help but I am a complete beginner who has always hand
written and worked out the vat by calculator. Recently my son said I should
get excel because it would make life much easier. I am not particularly IT
literate so its all very confusing for me.

Thanks

Sandra

"Sandra" wrote in message
I would like to be able to set up a template for my vat returns each
month,
using the correct formulas for total, standard and vat. Can you please
help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Sandra,

Firstly put the VAT rate in a cell, say A1, as a percentage. For instance,
type 17.5% in A1

Then, do you want to add the VAT to an amount?
If so, assuming the amount is in B10, then in C10 add

=ROUND(B10*$A$1,2)

If you want to calculate the VAT in an amount?
Again, assuming the amount in B10, then in C10 add

=ROUND(B10-(B10/(1+A1)),2)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips