Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Index ( )

Please refer to the INDEX () in Help.

(1) Please scroll down and take a look at the third example of Reference
form.

=SUM(INDEX(A1:C11,0,3,1))

I don't agree with the following description (result) beside the above
formula.

"The sum of the third column in the first area of the range A1:C11, which is
the sum of C1:C6. (216)"

Please note that the sum of C1:C6 is NOT 216. So, either C1:C6 is wrong OR
216 is wrong.

My vote is the former. In my opinion, the first area of the range A1:C11 is
A1:C11 based on the formula, although row #7 is blank. If we only want the
third column, then we should look at C1:C11. The sum of C1:C11 **is** 216.

Please let me know what the right version should be. Either way MS needs to
fix the above description.

(2) Please compare the following:-

First example of array form =INDEX(A2:B3,2,2) and

First example of reference form =INDEX(A2:C6,2,3)

Just looking at the formulas I don't see any difference in the format and I
won't be able to tell that one is array form and one is reference form.
Also, they both return a value. What is Help trying to tell me?

(3) Array vs. Reference

As far as I am concerned, an array is a reference. A1:A6 is an array and is
also a reference. However, A1 is NOT an array but is a reference. I am
quite confused about these two terms as Help puts it and the fact that
INDEX() is categorized into array form and reference form. Comments
welcome.

Appreciate help in sorting out the above.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JMB JMB is offline

The range A1:C11 is comprised of one area, not two. A space in the data does
not divide it into two areas. The example formula in help is properly
summing C1:C11, which is 216.

"Epinn" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

JMB,

I better clarify. When I said: My vote is the former. I meant it is wrong
to print C1:C6.

Sounds like you agree with me and we have two votes. But you haven't
explicitly stated that it is wrong to print C1:C6. Wonder if you caught
that and **truly understood** what I was trying to point out.

Epinn

"Epinn" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JMB JMB is offline

My apologies, I didn't read your post closely enough. I agree with you the
third column of A1:C11 s/b C1:C11, as long as A1:C11 is a contiguous named
range.

By reference means Index could be nested w/other functions that require a
range reference (Excel gives CELL as an example - which can return
information about a particular cell/range other than its value and requires a
range reference). If Index only returned a value, you couldn't use it
w/Cell. Admittedly, I'm hard pressed to give a useful example of the
reference form because I always want to work w/the cell's value, in which
case it doesn't matter whether it be by value or by reference.

If A1=5 there's no difference between the results of the following two
expressions.

=5*2
=A1*2

"Epinn" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JMB JMB is offline

I'm not sure my version of Excel is the same as yours. I've got XL2000 and
the example is similar, but not exactly the same.

My version says
SUM(INDEX(Stock,0,3,1)) equals SUM(C1:C11) equals 216

I do agree that
=SUM(INDEX(A1:C11,0,3,1))
should refer to C1:C11.