Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How to prevent any one from opening my workbook

I created a personal data workbook stored in my company network. I do not
want any one in the office to be able to open it and read it.
The "Protect" feature under the Tools does NOT prevent someone from opening
and reading the data (unless I am doing something wrong!).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If they are smarter than the "average aggie" they will be able to open it,
no matter what you do.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"MMCM" wrote in message
I created a personal data workbook stored in my company network. I do not
want any one in the office to be able to open it and read it.
The "Protect" feature under the Tools does NOT prevent someone from
opening
and reading the data (unless I am doing something wrong!).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

That's not really what Protect does. It stops people from changing any
locked cells or restructuring the workbook depending on what things you
protect. As Don says, even if you do this, it is very easy to break

If you want people not to be able to open the workbook, you need to apply a
password when you save the workbook.

If you have the workbook open, choose Save As rather than just Save. Select
Options (maybe Tools | General Options) and put one or more passwords into
the Save option box

Regards

Trevor

"MMCM" wrote in message
I created a personal data workbook stored in my company network. I do not
want any one in the office to be able to open it and read it.
The "Protect" feature under the Tools does NOT prevent someone from
opening
and reading the data (unless I am doing something wrong!).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I understand that I cannot get protection from hackers and crackers. But I
want to protect it from regular office staff - if they come across this file,
they cannot open it.

"MMCM" wrote in message
I created a personal data workbook stored in my company network. I do not
want any one in the office to be able to open it and read it.
The "Protect" feature under the Tools does NOT prevent someone from
opening
and reading the data (unless I am doing something wrong!).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.

Make sure you make the password complex but memorable ... otherwise people
with password crackers will still be able to look at it, if they are really
interested ;-)

For example: "Pa$$w0rD" would take longer to crack than the more simple
"password"

Regards