Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Automatic filter ?

I have a list of a couple of thousand (and more) individual items.

I want to have a box for users to type in text (there are no numbers) and
the results will be seen automatically reducing in number as more text is
entered

eg, typing A (or a) will show all entries beginning with A (without pressing
"Enter" or similar
typing AB will show only entries beinning with AB
typing ABO will show .........I guess you will understand the idea.

I have tried various forms of Filter - Auto and advanced - but still
cannot get the spreadsheet to do what I want.

Unless I am not doing the Autofilter (or Advanced filter) correctly (I am
still a relative beginner!) I still cannot find a way of simply adding
letters to a cell or input box and the filtering takes place 'automatically'
as the letters are added.

I suspect it is obvious to experienced users, but I confess I am stuck. I
have tried a "list", but it doesn't do want I want - unless I am doing it
wrong !!!

--
JayW, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Have you tried custom AutoFilter?

Let's say you have a list created and product name is the column you want to
filter. DataFilterAutoFilter
Then, click the down arrow beside product name. Click custom, then click
the down arrow on the left, choose "begins with" as the operator. Key in
the alphabet(s) in the box on the right side of the dialogue box. You can
experiment if wildcard (i.e. Al???? or Al*) works.

Have you read this?
http://office.microsoft.com/training...11459661033&CT
T=6&Origin=RC011459671033

Hope this helps.