Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Where to find Hotfix 829348?

Been going in circles thru Microsoft KB articles. Finally found the
hotfix that will address this problem:

• If you lock cells in an Excel 2002 workbook by using a
Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) macro, and then
save and close the workbook, you can click to select a locked
cell after you reopen the workbook.

I've been living with this slightly irritating problem for a while,
have an auto_open macro when it's important, but I figured I'd apply
the hotfix to see if it helps.

Only problem is that I can't find it to download. Any idea where to
look?

TIA,

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Andy,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829348/en-us
Read the "Hotfix information" section near the bottom, I believe
it answers your question...
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Andy"
wrote in message
Been going in circles thru Microsoft KB articles. Finally found the
hotfix that will address this problem:

. If you lock cells in an Excel 2002 workbook by using a
Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) macro, and then
save and close the workbook, you can click to select a locked
cell after you reopen the workbook.

I've been living with this slightly irritating problem for a while,
have an auto_open macro when it's important, but I figured I'd apply
the hotfix to see if it helps.

Only problem is that I can't find it to download. Any idea where to
look?
TIA,
Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Jim,

I've read that page, and others like it, numerous times. If the
directions to find the download, or a link to the download, are
there, I'm not seeing it. I'm fine with someone telling me "it's
right there you knucklehead" as long as they tell me where.

There are directions that say to contact Microsoft for the actual
hotfix, but I can't see how to do that without paying $30 or $40.

Andy

Andy,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829348/en-us
Read the "Hotfix information" section near the bottom, I believe
it answers your question...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You have to contact MS. They're very careful to whom they release the hotfix.

From that web page:

To resolve this problem, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain
the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services telephone
numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web
site:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support
(http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support)

Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls
may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific
update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to
additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific
update in question.

Andy wrote:

Jim,

I've read that page, and others like it, numerous times. If the
directions to find the download, or a link to the download, are
there, I'm not seeing it. I'm fine with someone telling me "it's
right there you knucklehead" as long as they tell me where.

There are directions that say to contact Microsoft for the actual
hotfix, but I can't see how to do that without paying $30 or $40.

Andy

Andy,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829348/en-us
Read the "Hotfix information" section near the bottom, I believe
it answers your question...

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I had started earlier to try to find a way to email Microsoft my
request, but got tired of clicking around with my slow dial-up
connection.

But after reading Dave's answer, I decided to pick up the phone and
call the number on Microsoft's site, and was pleasantly surprised to
get right through to someone who emailed me a link to download the
hotfix. He also told me tech support relating to this would be free,
and asked me if I wanted to speak to a tech support person right then
and there. I'm kicking myself for saying no, I don't have any
questions about installing the hotfix, because I later read in their
email:

"WARNING: This fix is not publicly available through the Microsoft
website as it has not gone through full Microsoft regression testing.
If you would like confirmation that this fix is designed to address
your specific problem, or if you would like to confirm whether there
are any special compatibility or installation issues associated with
this fix, you are encouraged to speak to a Support Professional in
Product Support Services"

And the file is large (14mb) so it must make many changes to
excel.exe. Now I'm nervous, not sure if I'll install it, definitely
won't without calling them back. Not sure it's worth it just to keep
my protected cells from being selected when I re-open the workbook.

Interesting experience...

Andy