Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Any Way of Creating a 'Unique Key'?

I'm making a mortgage lending database system for my GCSE ICT coursework
and I have a field in the database called ID Number...is there any way
of making it a unique field i.e. no two values can be the same- any
sort of validation or anything?

THANX

--
hustla7
hustla7's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37760

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

hustla7 wrote:
I'm making a mortgage lending database system for my GCSE ICT
coursework and I have a field in the database called ID Number...is
there any way of making it a unique field i.e. no two values can be
the same- any sort of validation or anything?

THANX

Hi,

First of all select the column, I assume is the A column, then from menu
Data, Validation, tab Settings, choose Custom under Allow and input this
formula:

=COUNTIF(A:A,A1)=1

--
(I'm not sure of names of menus, options and commands, because
translating from the Italian version of Excel...)

Hope I helped you.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ciao

Franz Verga from Italy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I cant find the tab settings thingy...:S

thankyou

--
hustla7
hustla7's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37760
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=573409

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Highlight the range say A:A if it is in column A
goto data, validation,custom
enter this formula in the box
=COUNTIF(A:A,A1)<2
then go to the error alert tab and enter the message you want, when a
duplicate number is entered

here's a little clip on data Validation

http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...alidation.html

--
davesexcel

davesexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31708
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=573409

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks a lot for all of your help- both methods do work!! Thank you once
again!

--
hustla7
hustla7's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37760
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=573409

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Data, Validation
Its the first tab.

Steve

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 16:15:00 +0100, hustla7
wrote:

I cant find the tab settings thingy...:S

thankyou

--
Steve (3)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers