Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Financial Spreadsheet Help (2007)

I am trying to create a stock portfolio data spreadsheet for Excel 2007,
but I am encountering many problems.

Firstly, I am trying to find a formula that will divide the current
value of the stock with the initial price. However, I receive a #Value
error (or some equivalent) whenever I try to enter
=Quotient(G6:G100,F6-F100).

Also, can Excel automatically change the color of the text depending on
the preceeding value? If I enter in $222 in one cell followed by $232 in
the next, can Excel color the numbers red or green depending on
higher/lower?

More later. (If you need further explaining, feel free to PM me.)

I appreciate all help.

--
Merodoc
Merodoc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37608

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Merodoc wrote:
I am trying to create a stock portfolio data spreadsheet for Excel 2007,
but I am encountering many problems.

Firstly, I am trying to find a formula that will divide the current
value of the stock with the initial price. However, I receive a #Value
error (or some equivalent) whenever I try to enter
=Quotient(G6:G100,F6-F100).

Also, can Excel automatically change the color of the text depending on
the preceeding value? If I enter in $222 in one cell followed by $232 in
the next, can Excel color the numbers red or green depending on
higher/lower?

More later. (If you need further explaining, feel free to PM me.)

I appreciate all help.

Not sure about the first question but the second can be done with
conditional formating under Format. Pretty self explanatory.

gls858
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Merodoc wrote:
I am trying to create a stock portfolio data spreadsheet for Excel 2007,
but I am encountering many problems.

Firstly, I am trying to find a formula that will divide the current
value of the stock with the initial price. However, I receive a #Value
error (or some equivalent) whenever I try to enter
=Quotient(G6:G100,F6-F100).

Also, can Excel automatically change the color of the text depending on
the preceeding value? If I enter in $222 in one cell followed by $232 in
the next, can Excel color the numbers red or green depending on
higher/lower?

More later. (If you need further explaining, feel free to PM me.)

I appreciate all help.

After checking the help file I found this:

Remark

If either argument is nonnumeric, QUOTIENT returns the #VALUE! error value.
Your arguments are non numeric.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish or how your sheet is set up
but to divide one number by another you can simply use =g6/f6 in a new
column say col h and copy it down.

gls858
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

gls858 Wrote:
Merodoc wrote:
[...]

You might be surprised how difficult all things technical can be.

I see the ribbon you mentioned (conditional formatting). I selected
*Highlight Cell Rules**More Rules**Use A Formula to determine which
cells to format*. However, I don't know what formula to use, or where
to begin.

GLS-Link to my sheet is in first post.

--
Merodoc
Merodoc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37608
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=572272

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

gls858 wrote:
Merodoc wrote:
[...]

I found your link and checked the sheet. I realize now that your using
2007. I know you put it in the subject but it didn't sink in until I
saw the spreadsheet. First of all 2007 is still beta software so there
could be things that don't work as expected. I'll post the method used it
Excel 2003. Maybe it will be enough to get you started in the right
direction. You might also check help for conditional formatting. I think
there is a newsgroup for the beta software.Maybe someone here can point you
to that group.

Put the cursor in the cell you want to change color.
Open the conditional formatting window. In the first box select
Cell value is from the drop down menu then in the next box select the
is greater than in the third box put the cell you want to test against.
Then click the format button and select pattern and select the color you
want. Now click the add button and do the same procedure except this time
select less than. Click OK

gls858