Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Displaying a percentage

Sorry if this appears to be a newbie question, but how do I display a
percentage figure of another cell. Example:

A1 £52.89

A2 17.5% of A1

Thank you

--
Timeferret
Timeferret's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19170

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

About percentages in Excel

Niek Otten, July 26 2006

In Excel, percentages are stored as fractions; 15% is stored as 0.15, 100% as 1. That makes it easy to calculate with; just
multiply a number with a percentage and you get what you need. No need to divide/multiply by 100. In fact, if you see a
calculation with percentages which has the number 100 somewhere in the formula; be very careful, it might be wrong or at least use
percentages in a way they weren't meant to be used in Excel.
The conversion to a fraction happens automatically if you enter the % sign: if you enter "15%" (without the quotes) the
value will be 0.15 and it will be displayed as 15%. If you then enter 12 in the same cell, two things can happen: It will be the
number 12 or 12%. What happens in your case depends on a setting:
ToolsOptions, Edit tab, "Enable automatic percent entry" (only Excel2000 and newer).
All built-in functions of Excel and all the functions in Analysis Toolpak use this representation of percentages: be careful
when supplying parameters to these functions; never use whole numbers (like 8), always use fractions (like 0.08 or, even better,
8%).

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q:
I have A1 and B1. How do I get C1 to show B1 as a percentage of A1?
A:
=B1/A1, Format as %

Q:
I have A1 and B1. How do I show the difference as a percentage in C1?
A:
As a percentage of A1: =(B1-A1)/A1, Format as %
As a percentage of B1: =(B1-A1)/B1, Format as %

Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Timeferret" wrote in message

| Sorry if this appears to be a newbie question, but how do I display a
| percentage figure of another cell. Example:
|
| A1 £52.89
|
| A2 17.5% of A1
|
| Thank you
|

| --
| Timeferret
| Timeferret's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19170
| View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=571461

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Sorry, perhaps I didnt make my self too clear.

In cell A2 I need to know what 17.5% is of cell A1

Thanks:)

--
Timeferret
Timeferret's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19170
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=571461

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

In A2:
=A1*17.5%

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Timeferret" wrote in message

| Sorry, perhaps I didnt make my self too clear.
|
| In cell A2 I need to know what 17.5% is of cell A1
|
| Thanks:)
|

| --
| Timeferret
| Timeferret's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19170