Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default my excel files are being opened in Word and are unreadable Why?

Files are being saved in the correct format and can be opened normally from
the recent files section of the File Menu in excel. The copmputer tried to
open them in Word from My Computer
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Change the file association for the XLS extension.

Open Win Explorer and browse to an Excel *.xls file.

Right-click and "Open With".

Select Excel and "Always use this etc."

Alternative......................

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 02:26:01 -0700, willy
wrote:

Files are being saved in the correct format and can be opened normally from
the recent files section of the File Menu in excel. The copmputer tried to
open them in Word from My Computer

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Unless there has been some changes in this area in recent versions, any
Excel file that is opened in Word and SAVED in Word (not Save As) is lost as
an Excel file. HTH Otto