Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Problem with criteria for DSUM (Excel XP)

I'm having a problem with the criteria for a DSUM formual on a worksheet;
the workbook is a budget worksheet I got from a large non-profit that I'm
learnign and (hopefully) going to adapt for our use.
The worksheet in question is named Cash Budget. One of the expense items is
named "Conf./Training/Meeting". The column names come from another sheet
called "Chart of Accounts" and are labeled "Jan -07", Feb-07", etc. Hiden
above each is the rest of the criteria; cell 1 has the word "Timing" and
cell 2 has the word "monthly". The formula is:

=DSUM(Conservation,'Conservation
Projects'!$O$3,B1:B3)+DSUM(Research,'Research
Projects'!$L$3,B1:B3)+DSUM(Outreach,'Outreach
Projects'!$L$3,B1:B3)+DSUM(Development,'Developmen t
Projects'!$L$3,B1:B3)+DSUM(Administration,'Adminis tration
Projects'!$O$3,B1:B3)+DSUM(Capital,'Capital Projects'!$L$3,B1:B3)

The error I get is "#VALUE!" (without the qoutes). When I do a trace error,
the problem is with the "DSUM(Research,'Research Projects'!$L$3,B1:B3)" part
of the formula. I rechecked the database name, the field name, the cell,
and the criteria - even redid each and than saved the file - same results.
I then made it simple - I deleted all but the problem portion - got the same
error and it points to "B1:B3: every time. I then changed it to other
databases and fields - the formula works fine.

I can't figure out how or why this is not working. Any ideas our there? (My
experience level is between Novice and Intermediate.)
--
Mike Webb
Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If you copy the headings from cells L3 and B1 to the related column
heading cells in the Research table, do you still get the error?

Mike Webb wrote:
[...]

Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html