Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Too Many Rows For Worksheet

If "clean up" means getting rid of blank separators, removing duplicates, we
would suggest

with help of WordPad, paste first 50,000 rows in sheet1, balance in sheet2;
clean up both sheets;
cut and paste sheet2 in sheet1;
remove duplicates again

"Bright Spark" wrote in message
I have a mailing list in .txt format that I need to open in Excel in
order to clean up and sort, etc. The problem I am having is that the
list is 76,007 records long and Excel will not allow me to have that
many - I get the message "File not completely loaded" (or something
similar).

I have done some searching and I have discovered that only 65,536 rows
can be in one worksheet (that is exactly how many it will load) but
there does seem to be some way to increase that number as long as the
final number is below 98,304 rows.

I am a total "newbie" as far as Excel is concerned and purely
hunt-and-peck my way through using it, learning as I go, but I cannot
figure out how I can end up with my full 76,007 records in just one
worksheet?

I would appreciate some instruction on this if anyone can help or
point me in the right direction.

Thanks very much.

BrightSpark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

A good starting point

Once sorted, maintain 2 or more sheets to allow for expansion

Steve

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 03:20:00 +0100, PY & Associates
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Glad that we can assist.

If you do have a million lines of text, we bet you will have text in
alternate lines only. Perhaps using Win Word, sort, rid of all separator
lines first is in order.

Cheers

"Bright Spark" wrote in message
Yes, that's what it means - and thank you for the suggestion, I think
that's a start unless I get brave enough to deal with a 1-million line
worksheet!

Bright Spark

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:20:00 +0800, "PY & Associates"
wrote:

If "clean up" means getting rid of blank separators, removing duplicates,

we
would suggest

with help of WordPad, paste first 50,000 rows in sheet1, balance in

sheet2;
clean up both sheets;
cut and paste sheet2 in sheet1;
remove duplicates again