ExcelBanter

-   Links and Linking in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/)
-   -   Hyperlink just one word in a cell? (https://www.excelbanter.com/links-linking-excel/252768-hyperlink-just-one-word-cell.html)

JaimeZX January 8th 10 02:31 AM

Hyperlink just one word in a cell?

Hello all; the subject line really says it all.

I'm pretty sure at some point in the past I've seen text in a cell where
there was a hyperlink in just PART of the cell... but I can't for the life of
me figure out how to do that now.

Any help would be MOST appreciated. Thanks!

Jim

Bill Manville January 8th 10 07:56 AM

Hyperlink just one word in a cell?

I fear you are mistaken.

Having inserted a hyperlink in a cell you can change the character
formatting of all but one word to be black with no underlining so that
it LOOKS like only the one word is the link - but you can't make only
that word ACT as a link.

You might be able to insert an object that looks like a cell and can
contain rich text, including single hyperlinked words - but I have not
found one that works in a quick search.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Dave Peterson January 8th 10 02:12 PM

Hyperlink just one word in a cell?

You could cheat and add a rectangle over the word/phrase you want. Then hide
its borders and assign the hyperlink to that rectangle.

You could even format those characters (if the value in that cell is not a
formula) nicely.

But it can be a pain if you re-edit the text and change the position of the
characters.