Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Link to Second Workbook Not Working

Well, I have a problem.

My open workbook is Named "One.xls"
My closed workbook is Named "ClosedBook.xls"
This "ClosedBook" is located as indicated in my code:

Here is my code:

='C:\extrafiles\SecondaryLevel[BofACheckRegister.xls]Payable'!CurrentBal

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong ?

The error message is: #NAME

Thanks in advance for the help

Matt @ Launchnet

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Maybe I should also state that I am trying to have the dollar value displayed
in a cell on "One.xls" from a cell in "ClosedBook.xls"

Naturally, I want the cell in "One.xls" to be updated whenever the value in
"Closedbook.xls" changes

Thanks
Matt @ Launchnet

Launchnet wrote:
Well, I have a problem.

My open workbook is Named "One.xls"
My closed workbook is Named "ClosedBook.xls"
This "ClosedBook" is located as indicated in my code:

Here is my code:

='C:\extrafiles\SecondaryLevel[BofACheckRegister.xls]Payable'!CurrentBal

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong ?

The error message is: #NAME

Thanks in advance for the help

Matt @ Launchnet

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

I would suspect that the range name CurrentBal was not defined on sheet
Payable in workbook BofACheckRegister.xls in folder
C:\extrafiles\SecondaryLevel

Open it up and check using Insert Name Define

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Hi Bill
Sorry I've been gone so I couldn't answer any sooner.
I checked the range name and it is correct.
Any other ideas ?
Thanks Matt @ Launchnet

Bill Manville wrote:
I would suspect that the range name CurrentBal was not defined on sheet
Payable in workbook BofACheckRegister.xls in folder
C:\extrafiles\SecondaryLevel

Open it up and check using Insert Name Define

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Please take a look at www.openoursite.com Click on: "Keywords" and then
Click on "Matt's Story" and if you are a man, you should be very happy that
you read my story. God Bless for everyones help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

On second look it seems to me there is a \ missing from the filename:
='C:\extrafiles\SecondaryLevel[BofACheckRegister.xls]Payable'!CurrentBa

I would expect it to be:

='C:\extrafiles\SecondaryLevel\[BofACheckRegister.xls]Payable'!CurrentB
al

However, when I try to reproduce the problem by removing the "\" from a
valid link I get a #REF error rather than #NAME. The only way I get
#NAME is if I use a range name that is not present in the referenced
worksheet.

Why not start again, Edit Copy the cell you want to link to and Edit
Paste Special Paste Link into the cell containing the formula that

is not working.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

I was just looking at my code and found that I had left out \ \ in 2
different places. It now works. Code should read: ='C:\extrafiles\
SecondaryLevel\[BofACheckRegister.xls]\Payable'!CurrentBal

Thanks everybody.

Matt @ Launchnet

Bill Manville wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Actually the second \ that you inserted should not be there.
It should be as I indicated: