Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
zxc zxc is offline

Default Keep hyperlinks uon archive

I use a spreadsheet to track documents on projects and link the number
to each actual documet for quick retrieval. The project I'm setting up
will be of many years duration so the early portions will be archived.

I want to maintain the links when the sheet gets moved to archive. The
spreadsheet will be in a common folder with the documents. Will the
links move with the folder or is there a step that can be performed
prior to the move, or a set-up protocol at the inception of the
spreadsheet?

TIA

--
zxc
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

It may depend on your Excel version (which you didn't mention - it
always helps to know). However, I *think* that unless you have
specified a Hyperlink Base in File Properties, hyperlinks to files in
the same folder will be relative in Excel 2002 and later.

So moving the workbook containing the links and the files to which the
links point from one folder to another should preserve the integrity of
the links in those circumstances. It should be reasonably easy to try
a test in your environment to confirm that.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England