Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default External Query Link broke

I am trying to edit a very simple XLS worksheet that automatically fills
data from a very complex Access database via a MS Query.
The problem is I had to take both the XLS and MDB files to a seperate
computer to edit due to the Acess database is used 24/7 and I cannot 'take
it down' for any length of time. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but
the XLS file is stored on one network drive and the MDB file is stored on a
different network drive. Now both files reside on a non-networked PC so I
can edit them.
When I try to run the updates now in Excel it gives me a path not found
error. I cannot figure out how to 're-link' this. I instictivly thought
'Edit/Links' but that option is dimmed out for me.

I have both the XLS and MDB files currently in the same directory on a
non-networked PC.

Any Ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Hi Jerry

MSQuery has a habit of embedding file names in the SQL for the query
which makes relocation of the database a problem.

Assuming your email address is a valid way to contact you I will email
you a workbook containing a small macro which you can use to change the
connection and source properties of any query tables in your workbook.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England