Pascal

Default Excel updated with links in between destination files!

Excel updated with links in between destination files:

Situation:

Document A : Master file with raw data

Doc B : file linked to cells in doc A (let's say doc B is for January)

Doc C : file linked to cells in doc A, exactly as doc B but for a
timeframe different, let's say doc C is for February

Let's say Doc B is updated in January and Doc C in February. Doc A has
new raw data in between both files. Saved both file at the time they
were updated.

If we open in March both file (B and C), the second file open will
update automatically the first file we open. Let's say we open B then
C, the C doc will update the B file without asking to do so.

Even if the original file A is deleted at the end of February (and
therefore after B and C have been updated). The B and C doc will
recognise the links from each other and assume that the second file
that is open is the most updated one….but we do not want to update the
first file (January) as the data was ok at the time.

Basically, Excel recognises that the new file as the same links and
decide to update with this information even though that is not the
source data.

Paste-Value is not an option nor is break links as the file
(spreadsheet) is protected.

Is there an option in excel to prevent from updating the links
automatically and without asking first. At least if it would ask (for
approval) before doing so.

Thanks

Pascal
Bill Manville

I would have suggested Paste/Value or break links but you have ruled
them out.

That means you mustn't open B and C in the same instance of Excel at
the same time. You could open them in separate instances of Excel OK.

Or you need to think of a different architecture for the application.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England