Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Linking CSV file

Hi

I run W2K with Excel 2K.

I have a workbook that links to a file on a server. The file on the server
is a file that is downloaded from a mainframe in a CSV format. Also, although
this file is a csv format it has been setup to download with a .XLS extension.

For my workbook link to this file to work correctly, I have to open up the
csv file and save it as an true Excel file. If I do not do this then the file
on my computer does not automatically update the links.

Is there anyway I can have my links to automatically update correctly
without having to save the csv file as an Excel file?

Any help is much appreciated.

John
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Hi John,

Not really, but you could automate the opening of the csv file whenever you
open your Excel workbook. Also, it's not a good idea to mis-name the csv
file's extension. This makes no difference to how Excel processes the file,
but it's misleading, since any app capable of reading a text file (eg Notepad,
Word) can also read csv files, but not necessarily Excel (xls) files.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"John Calder" wrote in message
| Hi
|
| I run W2K with Excel 2K.
|
| I have a workbook that links to a file on a server. The file on the server
| is a file that is downloaded from a mainframe in a CSV format. Also,
although
| this file is a csv format it has been setup to download with a .XLS
extension.

| For my workbook link to this file to work correctly, I have to open up the
| csv file and save it as an true Excel file. If I do not do this then the
file
| on my computer does not automatically update the links.
|
| Is there anyway I can have my links to automatically update correctly
| without having to save the csv file as an Excel file?
|
| Any help is much appreciated.
|
| John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Thanks for your response. I am not exactly sure how to open the csv file
automatically from my workbook but I will ask the question in another work
group. As for naming the csv file with a xls extension I am afraid I dont
have any control over that so I will have to work with what I have got.

Thanks again

John

"macropod" wrote:

Hi John,

Not really, but you could automate the opening of the csv file whenever you
open your Excel workbook. Also, it's not a good idea to mis-name the csv
file's extension. This makes no difference to how Excel processes the file,
but it's misleading, since any app capable of reading a text file (eg Notepad,
Word) can also read csv files, but not necessarily Excel (xls) files.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"John Calder" wrote in message
| Hi
|
| I run W2K with Excel 2K.
|
| I have a workbook that links to a file on a server. The file on the server
| is a file that is downloaded from a mainframe in a CSV format. Also,
although
| this file is a csv format it has been setup to download with a .XLS
extension.

| For my workbook link to this file to work correctly, I have to open up the
| csv file and save it as an true Excel file. If I do not do this then the
file
| on my computer does not automatically update the links.
|
| Is there anyway I can have my links to automatically update correctly
| without having to save the csv file as an Excel file?
|
| Any help is much appreciated.
|
| John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Hi John,

If you use Data - Import External Data and point to the csv file as the
external data source, then you will have a data range that can be refreshed
at any time.

Ed Ferrero

Hi

I run W2K with Excel 2K.

I have a workbook that links to a file on a server. The file on the server
is a file that is downloaded from a mainframe in a CSV format. Also,
although
this file is a csv format it has been setup to download with a .XLS
extension.

For my workbook link to this file to work correctly, I have to open up the
csv file and save it as an true Excel file. If I do not do this then the
file
on my computer does not automatically update the links.

Is there anyway I can have my links to automatically update correctly
without having to save the csv file as an Excel file?

Any help is much appreciated.

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Thanks Ed !

But I run Excel 2000 and when I select "Data" I dont get "Import External
Data" as an option.

My options are;

Data
Get External Data
Import Text File

Thanks

"Ed Ferrero" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Hi John,

In Excel 2000, use Data - Get External Data. Other steps are the same.

Ed Ferrero
www.edferrero.com

"Ed Ferrero" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

John, did you ever solve this problem? I download
my bank account files
in CSV but IE won't give me the option to save or
run, they just automatically
open up in IE html format.

"John Calder"
wrote in
message

"Ed Ferrero" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

HI,
I NEED TO KNOW THAT I AM USING OFFICE2003 FOR THAT HOW CAN I DOWNLOAD CSV
FILE AUTOMATICALLY IN EXCEL & CAN I UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY

HELP REQUIRED
THANKS
AVINASH