Nicolas

Default excel hyperlink to pdf

when i click a hyperlink targeted to a pdf-file, acrobat starts but
the file does not open. The strangest thing....I'm going crazy. Help!
Bill Manville

Nicolas wrote:
when i click a hyperlink targeted to a pdf-file, acrobat starts but
the file does not open.

Does double-clicking a PDF file in Windows explorer work?
If not, check the file associations for PDF are correctly set e.g. by
re-installing Acrobat.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Dougie

I also have the same problem. It also happens in Word. I thought it was just
Acrobat 7 but on re-loading version 6 the same thing happans

"Nicolas" wrote:

when i click a hyperlink targeted to a pdf-file, acrobat starts but
the file does not open. The strangest thing....I'm going crazy. Help!

David McRitchie

You might check your file type definitions.
My Computer, tools, file types, folder options

Open [Edit] would look something like:
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" "%1"

I would avoid having
PDF files being opened within anything but the Adobe Reader
because it really slows down IE and Firefox if you open from
within a browser as if it were an HTML file. You would not want
Word using IE to open a PDF file, and that I suspect might be
your problem.
---
HTH,

"Nicolas" wrote:

when i click a hyperlink targeted to a pdf-file, acrobat starts but
the file does not open. The strangest thing....I'm going crazy. Help!

Dougie

Checked that and it's OK.
The hyperlink should launch Adobe Acrobat and open file file within it.
Adobe launches, then immediately closes.
I've tried removing Acrobat and re-installing but nothing changes. All other
applications used as a hyperlink launch works, i.e. Word, Paint Shop Pro,
even E-mail.

"Nicolas" wrote:

when i click a hyperlink targeted to a pdf-file, acrobat starts but
the file does not open. The strangest thing....I'm going crazy. Help!

Joel Nickerson via OfficeKB.com

I'm having the exact same problem--from a Word hyperlink Acrobat opens and
immediately closes. I've got Office XP and Acrobat 7.

David McRitchie

Oh, the full Acrobat not just the Acrobat Reader, interesting.

"Joel Nickerson via OfficeKB.com" wrote..
I'm having the exact same problem--from a Word hyperlink Acrobat opens and
immediately closes. I've got Office XP and Acrobat 7.

Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McRitchie
Oh, the full Acrobat not just the Acrobat Reader, interesting.

"Joel Nickerson via OfficeKB.com" wrote..
I'm having the exact same problem--from a Word hyperlink Acrobat opens and
immediately closes. I've got Office XP and Acrobat 7.
I had precisely the same problem. Here's what I discovered. I originally only had Acrobat Reader 6.0 loaded on my computer and my Excel hyperlinks to pdf files worked fine.

I later installed Acrobat Standard 7.0, and suddenly the link did not work. When I clicked on the link to a pdf file, I could see Acrobat start to launch and then disappear. No Go!

SOLUTION: I reinstalled Acrobat Reader 6.0 using the "repair" selection and Voila! the hyperlinks now work fine again. There must have been something in the Acrobat Standard 7.0 installation that broke a critical registry entry.
David McRitchie

Since I just have the Acrobat Reader not the full Adobe Acrobat
does reinstalling the Acrobat Reader affect your usage in any
way of the full Acrobat package. Just curious.

--
Paul H. Kristensen

Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McRitchie
Since I just have the Acrobat Reader not the full Adobe Acrobat
does reinstalling the Acrobat Reader affect your usage in any
way of the full Acrobat package. Just curious.
No. I have both installed. Acrobat Reader 6.0 works fine. Acrobat Standard 7.0 works fine. One does not intefere with the other as long as they are installed to the default program locations.

TuckMonster

I just got off the phone with Adobe Support. They are aware of this
problem and will be posting an update on their website "in the near
future". I asked for some time frame, but support wouldn't tell me.

Bryan

David McRitchie Wrote:
Oh, the full Acrobat not just the Acrobat Reader,

interesting.

I had precisely the same problem. Here's what I discovered. I
originally only had Acrobat Reader 6.0 loaded on my computer and my
Excel hyperlinks to pdf files worked fine.

I later installed Acrobat Standard 7.0, and suddenly the link did

not
work. When I clicked on the link to a pdf file, I could see

Acrobat
start to launch and then disappear. No Go!

SOLUTION: I reinstalled Acrobat Reader 6.0 using the "repair"
selection and Voila! the hyperlinks now work fine again. There

must
have been something in the Acrobat Standard 7.0 installation that

broke
a critical registry entry.

--
Paul H. Kristensen

Jimmy Hum via OfficeKB.com

The Adobe Reader 7.0.1 update is available on adobe's web site.
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/new.jsp