Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default formula - excell

X Y
A 14 3
B 13 5
C 15 4
D 12 2

12

As you can see, the above are in 3 columns and A is in Row B1. I have
inserted a new row directly above the total 12, now the new blank row is in
Row B6 but the formula in Row B7 is showing = B5. My question is, why can't
it be showing =B6 since the new row has been inserted in row 6. the formula
should change but it's showing showing = B5

Just wondering any excel experts can tell me the ansser

Thanks
Corinna
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Corinna,
If your original formula was in B6 then for your task you should have
used:

=OFFSET(B6,-1,0)

The formula you used points to B5. Inserting a row below does not
affect B5. The moved cell still points to the original source.

HTH
Kostis Vezerides