-   -   Cells only display formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/99138-cells-only-display-formula.html)

waladd

Cells only display formula

I have a formula that is not showing the result in the cells. Using fx button
shows result, but result does not show in cells. tried ctrl + ` to no avail,
formula is working.
ex. of formula:
=IF(Q34="ON","S",IF(Q34="PH","ON","OFF"))

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Special-K

Cells only display formula

You sure you havent got white text on a white background or similar?
Formula is indeed correct and works as you indicated.

--
Special-K
Special-K's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7470

tim m

Cells only display formula

"waladd" wrote:

I have a formula that is not showing the result in the cells. Using fx button
shows result, but result does not show in cells. tried ctrl + ` to no avail,
formula is working.
ex. of formula:
=IF(Q34="ON","S",IF(Q34="PH","ON","OFF"))

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

tim m

Cells only display formula

It shows nothing at all in the cell the formula is in? I just tested the
formula and it worked when I put various things in Q34 on my sheet.

"waladd" wrote:

I have a formula that is not showing the result in the cells. Using fx button
shows result, but result does not show in cells. tried ctrl + ` to no avail,
formula is working.
ex. of formula:
=IF(Q34="ON","S",IF(Q34="PH","ON","OFF"))

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

waladd

Cells only display formula

Black text, white background (no color).

"Special-K" wrote:

You sure you havent got white text on a white background or similar?
Formula is indeed correct and works as you indicated.

--
Special-K
Special-K's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7470
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=561173

waladd

Cells only display formula

all it is showing is the formula itself

"waladd" wrote:

I have a formula that is not showing the result in the cells. Using fx button
shows result, but result does not show in cells. tried ctrl + ` to no avail,
formula is working.
ex. of formula:
=IF(Q34="ON","S",IF(Q34="PH","ON","OFF"))

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Gord Dibben

Cells only display formula

Sounds like cell(s) formatted as text.

Re-format to general then F2 and ENTER

If you have a great whack of these to do.............

EditReplace

What: =

With: =

Replace all.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:22:02 -0700, waladd
wrote:

I have a formula that is not showing the result in the cells. Using fx button
shows result, but result does not show in cells. tried ctrl + ` to no avail,
formula is working.
ex. of formula:
=IF(Q34="ON","S",IF(Q34="PH","ON","OFF"))

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

tim m

Cells only display formula

Check to see if this is the problem: Go to
'tools'...'options'....'view'....window options and see if there is a check
mark next to formulas. If there is uncheck that box.

"waladd" wrote:

I have a formula that is not showing the result in the cells. Using fx button
shows result, but result does not show in cells. tried ctrl + ` to no avail,
formula is working.
ex. of formula:
=IF(Q34="ON","S",IF(Q34="PH","ON","OFF"))

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

waladd

Cells only display formula

That did it, thanks. Feel a little dumb now, but thank you lol

wrote:

I have a formula that is not showing the result in the cells. Using fx button
shows result, but result does not show in cells. tried ctrl + ` to no avail,
formula is working.
ex. of formula:
=IF(Q34="ON","S",IF(Q34="PH","ON","OFF"))

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Gord Dibben

Cells only display formula

Very common problem so don't feel too dumb.

Gord

wrote:

I have a formula that is not showing the result in the cells. Using fx button
shows result, but result does not show in cells. tried ctrl + ` to no avail,
formula is working.
ex. of formula:
=IF(Q34="ON","S",IF(Q34="PH","ON","OFF"))

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

doddski

Cells only display formula

I can't see any reason whatsoever to feel dumb on this one. It does not seem
evident to me at all to change the cell to general. I am surprised this is
not in the regular help text so thank you Gord.