Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Here's a good one!

I am trying to split loan payments between principal and interest among
various sources, however due to rounding the total principal and
interest exceeds the total payment. What is the easiest way to adjust
either the largest principal or interest field based on which type is
over. I am attaching a file that contains all the formulas and such.

I've been around and around with this and just when I think I have it,
I get a circular error message or something equally as tiresome

Any help anyone can give me will be greatly apprecated.

For instance, there is both principle and interest being calculated
based on deferral, match, discretionary, etc... depending on how the
loan was withdrawn from the account originally.

I thought maybe using an if with a max might work, but it won't
calculate. It says I still have a circular reference.

|Filename: Forum Assistance.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=5024 |

Chris Berry
Chris Berry's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36165
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=561084

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Chris,

It's likely that nobody will open your attachment.

Use

=PMT()

to calculate the payment, then use

=IPMT()

to calculate the interest, and for the principal, subtract the two.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Chris Berry" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for your reply. The principal and interest are known, the
problem I am having is someone will have a $100 dollar payment split so
that 25% or 33% or any other percentage goes into different accounts.
For instance:

Principal Int #1 Prin #1 Int #2 Prin #2 Int Total
96.33 3.67 72.25 2.75 24.08 0.92 100
96.34 3.66 72.26 2.75 24.09 0.92 100.02

As you can see, both of the above examples made the same total payment,
but because of the way excel calculates, I'm getting pennies rounding
errors.

I can't believe that I'm the only one who has ever had this problem,
but darned if I can find a solution. If there were only two accounts
or if everyone had at least one common account I could do it with
arithmetic, but they have to make life hard for me.

--
Chris Berry
Chris Berry's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36165
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=561084

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I got the solution, albeit in a very roundabout way.

--
Chris Berry
Chris Berry's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36165
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=561084

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Chris,

Then, instead, for the cell with the 24.08, use the formula
=96.33-72.25
(but with cell references not values), like
=A2-C2

OR

=ROUND(A2,2)-ROUND(C2,2)

and the same for the interest...